With its breathtaking landscapes, secluded pull-offs, and stunning mountain views in every direction, Telluride is a hidden gem for couples seeking an intimate elopement experience. Nestled in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, Telluride boasts views only Switzerland can beat. Not to mention the bustling food scene and town to explore. In this guide, I’ll reveal the best elopement locations, the best seasons to elope, and exciting activities for your Telluride elopement.
Where to Elope in Telluride
- Bridal Veil Falls: Bridal Veil Falls is just 15 minutes from town, and a short hike in, the tallest free falling waterfall in Colorado is a perfect place for stunning photos and great spot for vows or a first look!
- Alta Lakes: Hidden away in the wilderness, Alta Lakes offers a serene and secluded spot for couples seeking intimacy in nature. Surrounded by old-growth forests and mirror-like waters, this location exudes romance.
- Bear Creek Preserve: For adventurous couples, Bear Creek Preserve offers a rugged and picturesque setting. With the majestic Rocky Mountains in the background, this spot promises breathtaking panoramic views.
- Telluride Ski Resort: Embrace the winter wonderland at Telluride Ski Resort. Whether you choose to say “I do” on the slopes or in a cozy lodge, this location offers a magical elopement experience.
- Hidden Lakes and Hiking Trails: plan your Telluride elopement at one of the hidden lakes only accessible by off-roading or hiking in the area! I share these secluded and unknown spots I’ve scouted with my couples!
When to Have Your Telluride Elopement
The best seasons for a Telluride elopement are fall and summer. In the fall, the crowds thin out, and the landscape transforms into a breathtaking tapestry of golden hues. Summer elopements offer warmer temperatures and longer days, providing ample opportunities to explore the area.
If you opt for a summer elopement, consider choosing a weekday to avoid peak tourist traffic, and opt for a sunrise elopement. Whichever season you choose, Telluride’s beauty will leave you and your partner awe-inspired.
Elopement Day Activities Near Telluride
Telluride offers a ton of activities to make your elopement unforgettable. Hiking enthusiasts can explore the numerous scenic trails that lead to stunning viewpoints and hidden alpine lakes. Kayaking on the calm waters of Alta Lakes or going on an off-road adventure to a viewpoint to have a picnic or say your vows are other options.
During the winter months, skiing at The Telluride Ski Resort is a favorite elopement day activity. Alternatively, you can warm up by the fire with a celebratory meal, indulge in local wine tasting, or take a scenic drive to views of the Rockies.
Jeep rentals and off-roading will take you to more secluded spots in Telluride! Check out Colorado 145 Jeep Rentals and Switzerland of America Jeep Adventures to rent a 4×4 vehicle or plan a jeep tour for your day!
If you still want the views without hiking or off-roading, consider riding the gondola for your Telluride elopement, and finishing the day with a picnic!
Where to Stay in Telluride
One of the highlights of eloping in Telluride is the abundance of cozy and picturesque Airbnbs. Whether you prefer a secluded cabin in the woods or a charming lodge with mountain views, Telluride offers a wide array of accommodations to suit every taste.
When choosing your Airbnb, consider factors like proximity to your chosen elopement location, amenities, and the ambiance that aligns with your vision for an intimate getaway.
Here are a few of my favorite Airbnbs –
If you are opting for a hotel, check out the 5-star Madeline Hotel in Mountain Village, Telluride!
Where to Eat After Your Telluride Elopement
There is a ton of great food to choose from for your Telluride elopement meal! Here are a few of my favorites –
+ New Sheridan Chop House – Right in town at the New Sheridan hotel, a great up-scale celebratory dinner!
+ The National – Farm to table, American inspired dishes!
+ Black Iron Kitchen and Bar – Tapas at the Hotel Madeline in Mountain Village! Head up the gondola at sunset, and get dropped off at its doorstep.
If you are planning a Telluride elopement, check out my Colorado Elopement Photographer page for planning help and location ideas! I can’t wait to help you get started on planning your day in Colorado’s most iconic mountain town! If you are looking for more elopement resources, check out Telluride Elopement Photography!